Restaurant owners have multiple factors to consider when picking the right coverage for their business. Thinking about property, liability, employee dishonesty, loss of income, and other types of coverage are important to creating the package that best fits your business. As business insurance experts, we are here to outline your options and identify the best plan for your business.
What Types of Businesses Need Restaurant or Food-Related Insurance?
Let’s start with the basics. Types of businesses that need to consider food insurance vary greatly. If your business falls into one of the following categories it’s best to consider your options.
Restaurants Who Need Insurance
- Fast Food Restaurants
- Coffee Shops
- Ice Cream Shops
- Pizza Shops
- Full Service Restaurants
- Fine Dining Restaurants
Starting with a business owner’s policy with coverage for the essentials is the foundation of your plan. This can include:
- General Liability
- Commercial Property
- Business Income
Ensuring you have this basic coverage will put you on the right track to protect your business.
Additional Restaurant Business Insurance Coverage
Different types of restaurants may want to consider additional types of coverage. Do you have delivery drivers? Does your restaurant serve alcohol? Here are some things to consider when picking additional coverage for your package.
- Property Damage: Coverage for fires, accidents, or vandalism
- Auto Accidents: applicable to both delivery drivers or employees picking up supplies or delivering goods
- Injured Employees: protect your employees from a slip out on the floor, a burn on a stove, an accident in the kitchen or any other work-related injury
- Workplace Harassment: managing employees can be difficult, so employment practices liability insurance can help protect you and your business
- Restaurant Operations: power outages or water contamination are just a few examples of things that could disrupt daily operations
- Intoxicated Customers: liquor liability insurance can help if a customer is in an accident after leaving your restaurant
Restaurant Owner’s Insurance Example - Kathy’s Cafe
After a major storm, Kathy’s cafe suffered a four-day loss of power due to an out-of-service transformer. She lost all the perishables stored in her walk-in cooler. But due to solid planning, Kathy’s American National agent had aligned her with specialty coverages. Spoilage – Off Premises Power Failure coverage provided Kathy $20,000 in additional coverage to help replace the lost inventory. Goodbye power failure, hello chai tea lattes.
We are here to help build the business insurance package that is right for your restaurant! The number of things to consider can be intimidating, but we will help you find the coverage necessary to protect your business.
About Ianniello Agency
Ianniello Insurance Agency is Northeast Ohio’s premier provider of auto insurance, life insurance, home insurance, agribusiness insurance, farm insurance, business insurance and health insurance. Ianniello Insurance Agency is an IRMI certified Agribusiness and Farm Insurance Specialist.
You can count on our personalized service to meet your needs. We take our time to ensure there are no gaps in your coverage. We proudly serve Coshocton, Holmes, and Tuscarawas Counties. Get in touch today for a quote and follow us on Facebook to stay in touch!